The First White House of the Confederacy was the Executive Residence of President Jefferson Davis and family while the capitol of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama. The house served as the first White House of the Confederacy from February 1861 until late May 1861, when the Confederate capital moved to Richmond, Virginia. Completely furnished with original period pieces from the 1850s and 1860s, the 1835 Italianate style house is open to the public. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974. It is located across from the south side of the Alabama State Capitol, next door to Archives and History Building.
Early postcard of the First White House. Many personal items of President and Mrs. Davis are in the house as well as authentic furnishings of the period. It is a Confederate house museum which tells three stories:
What happened during the spring of 1861 when a government was formed from few resources except cotton and courage.
The story of Jefferson Davis, a renowned American patriot long before The War, and his family.
The story of the preservation of the House.