St. Andrews Episcopal Church is surrounded by beautiful gardens and a tiny columbarium where the cremated remains of departed parishioners have been buried. The church has undergone many renovations since its construction in 1902
St. Andrew's began as a mission of the Church of the Advent in 1902, when a Sunday School was established in a private residence on the southside of Birmingham. By 1906, the parish had been recognized by the Diocese and was situated in a separate building. On Maundy Thursday in 1913, a tornado destroyed the church. This led to the purchase of the lot where the church is presently located and the construction of a new church. The cornerstone was laid on St. Andrew's Day, November 1913, and the first service was held on Easter Sunday in 1915, but the building was not finished and consecrated until All Hallow's Eve of 1920.
The women's organization, The St. Andrew's Guild, assumed paying much of the debt for the new buildings by serving a series of luncheons. The first lunches were served on the mezzanine of a downtown hardware store. The church grew and flourished, mainly attracting a group of white middle class families. Money problems constantly gnawed at St. Andrew's resources. During the late 1940's, St. Andrew's evolved into an Anglo-Catholic parish.
The last principal Sunday service using only Morning Prayer was held in 1950. The 1950s saw the last use of the rectory, now known as St. Joesph's House, by the rector. Urban changes occurred as many longtime residents moved to the suburbs. Parish membership declined and the parish profile changed from its previous white-collar middle class family status. Financial difficulties grew more severe. During the 1960s, the Anglo-Catholic tradition continued and new attention was turned to outreach in the urban neighborhood and racial tolerance.
During the 1970's, many changes took place, such as women gaining access to leadership roles, an increase in lay participation, a smooth transition to the 1979 Book of Common Prayer, and more outreach programs. The 1980s saw the construction of a new parish hall, introduction of the Catechumenate for new members, House Eucharists, and a more fully developed music program.
Today the lovely old brownstone church sits gracefully on the corner of 11th Avenue and 12th Street South