USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park
About Battelship USS Alabama:
Battelship USS Alabama Featuring an authentic World War II battleship, the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park is a memorial to the men and women from Alabama who have served in wars from the 1940s until Desert Storm. Other military artifacts kept at the park include a number of military aircraft, tanks, artillery and even a submarine. Historical videos, a flight simulator ride and military memorials come together at this inspiring park, creating an encompassing and insightful look into the military history of the state and country. It is located just a mile east of downtown Mobile, on the waterfront adjacent to Polecat Bay
The keel of the USS ALABAMA (BB-60) was laid at the Norfolk Navy Yard on 1 February 1940, the sixth vessel to bear the name of Alabama. At the outbreak of hostilities, her hull construction was nearing completion. Some two years later (16 February 1942), the new South Dakota Class battleship was launched in a colorful ceremony attended by many national figures. Sponsoring the vessel was Mrs. Lister Hill, wife of Alabama's Senator Hill. On 16 August 1942, in ceremonies at Portsmouth, Virginia, the new ship was placed in full commission and Captain George B. Wilson, USN, assumed command.
The name ALABAMA was first assigned to the 74-gun ship-of-the-line whose keel was laid in June 1819 at Portsmouth Navy Yard. Work proceeded slowly until the outbreak of the Civil War when "Almost Alabama" was renamed the NEW HAMPSHIRE.
The first ALABAMA, a 56 ton Revenue Cutter built at New York and acquired June 22, 1819 at a cost of $ 4,500, was active in the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico in the 1820s. She was responsible for the capture of more than one dozen pirate vessels and slave traders, and sold in 1833.
The second and third ALABAMAs, both U.S. Steamers, also pre-date the American Civil War. The second was a 700 ton ship, which was transferred to the Navy Department from the War Department under Act of Congress of 3 March 1849. Being unfit for Naval purposes, the troop carrier was sold at auction in October 1849 after the war with Mexico. The third ALABAMA, a sidewheel steamer of 1,261 tons, was commissioned on 30 September 1861. She served in the Navy as a troop and cargo transport until 14 July 1865, at which time she was placed out of commission and sold on 10 August 1865.
USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media